Human resource management is an important part of any business. It becomes even more important as the business grows and hires more people. There are several open source HR software options that can reduce HR operations and improve organizational efficiency.
Companies can use open source HR software to manage their employees better, save time and money, and improve their overall performance. The best part is that there are several open source HR software options to suit your needs.
This article will look closely at some of the best open source HR software's most important features, pros, and cons. Whether you want to upgrade your HR system or start over from scratch, there is an open source HRM solution for you.
What is meant by Open Source Software?
Open source software (OSS) is computer software that allows anyone to read, edit, and redistribute its source code. The software's code is open, allowing for collaborative development and enhancement.
The open source software movement believes that developers may collaborate to create better, more secure and more reliable software. Linux, Apache, and MySQL are popular open source software.
What is meant by Open Source HR software?
Everyone can access, use, update, and distribute open source HR software. This means that the open source HRMS is not made by a single company but rather by a group of developers from all over the world working together.
Organizations can save money, remain independent, and customize open source HR software. It is also often safer, more reliable, and easier to understand than proprietary software.
List of top open source HR - Human Resources Management System (HRMS) Free of Cost
The global human resource (HR) technology market is projected to grow to 39.90 billion by 2029. Which proves the rise for using human resource software businesses. But many organizations fail to acquire one as the cost of HR software is increasing overtime. Here we have listed top 11 open source HR software that you can use without breaking your bank:
Detailed Overview of Best Open Source HRM Software
It's amazing open-source HR software that can change the way organizations manage their human resources. Odoo's modular design lets businesses access HR functions like employee records, payroll management, performance management, and recruitment. It's simple to use and can help HR processes run more smoothly, saving time and effort.
Odoo's open-source nature lets you customize and use it for free. Plus, because it's in the cloud, you can get to your HR data from anywhere.
Odoo also has a very large and active community of both developers and users. They offer tutorials, forums, and apps to businesses, which keep the software up-to-date with the latest HR management software technology.
- Leave management
- Employee evaluation
- Expense management
- Track Job Offers
- Integrated Documents
- Automatic Evaluation Process
Sentrifugo, a free HR software, helps small and medium-sized organizations manage personnel data, recruitment, performance, leave, and more. It handles hiring until retirement with a configurable interface. Businesses can use Sentrifugo instead of expensive business software because it is open source HRM. Most businesses can use what it has to offer. Sentrifugo's self-service interface makes HR work easier by letting employees manage their information, leave requests, and performance goals.
Sentrifugo is also available in many languages and is easy to change for any organization. It can be used in the cloud or on-premise, so it can grow with a business as it grows. Overall, Sentrifugo is a great option for companies that want cheap, scalable HR software that makes HR tasks easier and more efficient.
- Performance Appraisal
- Employee Self Service
- Background Checks
- Leave Management
- Service Request
- Talent Acquisition
- Interview Schedule
- Asset Management
OrangeHRM is an open source HR software that is flexible and has many features. It helps businesses streamline their HR processes. OrangeHRM streamlines HR with its customized interface for personnel data, recruiting, performance, attendance, employee self-service and benefits. The platform can also work with payroll and performance management systems to provide a full HR solution.
The active and helpful community of developers and users is another benefit of OrangeHRM. Businesses can keep up with HR software trends and stay current using the community's tutorials, forums, and add-ons.
OrangeHRM is an affordable HR software that can meet the needs of many different types of businesses. It is a good choice for people who want a cheap and scalable HR solution because it is flexible and has many features.
- Self Service Portal
- Task Management
- Weighted Performance Measures
- Workflow Management
- Assessment Management
- Attendance Management
- Configurable Workflow
- Employee Onboarding
IceHRM is an open source HRMS software that about 1,500 firms worldwide use. This platform in the cloud makes HR work easier by keeping track of employee information, time, and more. Since its easy-to-use interface and customization ability, HR professionals can increase productivity and improve how things work.
It works well with a wide range of third-party products and services, like payroll and accounting software, which improves the efficiency of a business.
Therefore, IceHRM is a cheap and scalable HR software system that can help organizations of all sizes. It automates HR tasks and makes it easier to manage employees. It comes in free and paid versions, with the paid version having more features.
- Employee Information Storage
- Automatic Leave Management
- Payroll Processing
- Expenses Management
- Custom Forms
- Performance Reviews
OpenCATS is a free applicant tracking system (ATS) that makes it easier for companies to hire people. It gives HR professionals complete tools for managing job postings, resumes, interviews, and more. The software is easy to use and can be changed in many ways.
One of the best things about OpenCATS is that it lets you post job openings, look at applications, and set up interviews. Thus, with this feature, businesses can use custom workflows to automate their hiring process.
OpenCATS is not only free and open source, but it is also cheap for all businesses. It has features that can work for most businesses. Reports and analytics help companies decide their hiring processes based on data. Therefore, OpenCATS is a great ATS for businesses that want to hire more people but don't want to spend much money.
- Recruiting Management
- Job Requisition & Posting
- Collaboration Tools
- Jobs Board Integration
- Resume Search
- Self Service Portal
WaypointHR, a free HR software, simplifies HR management by tracking employee information, time and attendance, leave, and more.
The open source and free features of WaypointHR can help small and medium-sized businesses on a tight budget. But because of its quality and skills, it can also serve most businesses. WaypointHR has a community of developers and users that offers business forums and tutorials. This helps it keep up with the latest HR software trends.
Overall, WaypointHR is a great option for companies that want HR software that is both affordable and easy to use. It's highly adaptable and suitable for businesses in various industries. Plus, you can get it and use it for free.
- Employee Search System
- Employee Records
- Track employee leave
IntraHealth International made IHRIS, a powerful, open-source health workforce information system for places with few resources. It helps governments, health organizations, and other groups better manage their staff, provide better health services, and get better health results.
This is an affordable, flexible, and easy-to-use HR information solution for low-resource health organizations and governments. Its different features and tools can help improve employees' health and how they are managed. The best part is that iHRIS is free. Also, iHRIS works in low-resource environments with offline data collection, SMS data entry, and synchronization, even without internet access.
Overall, this is a good alternative for low-resource health organizations and governments who desire an inexpensive, adaptable, and easy-to-use HR information system. Its different features and tools can help improve employees' health and how they are managed. The best part is that iHRIS is free.
- Recruitment Management
- Taxation Management
- Project Management
- Expense Reporting
- Training Management
Open-source Jorani is a web app that makes it easier for employees to ask for time off. It gives you tools made by experts to handle things like sick days, vacations, and other absences. Employees can easily request time off and keep track of their requests. Managers can approve or deny requests, look at team calendars, and manage leave balances. Managers can also use reporting and analytics tools to learn more about their employees and spot trends.
The fact that Jorani is easy to use is a big plus. It's easy to set up and use for organizations of all sizes because it has a simple user interface and workflows that can be changed. Jorani is also available in more than one language so that people can use it worldwide.
Jorani is free to download and use because it is open source HRMS, and organizations can change their source code. This means that a worldwide community of developers and users keeps it up to date and makes it a cheap solution.
Jorani is a good choice for companies that want leave management software that is flexible and easy to use. It has many features and tools that can help manage people and make work more enjoyable.
- Leave and Overtime Management
- Online Documentation of employee Attendance
- Calendars of leaves
Managing human resources (HR) can be hard for small and medium-sized businesses with little money. This is where the open source HR software Staff Squared comes in. It makes it easy to manage employee information, track attendance and time off, schedule shifts, and safely store important documents.
Since, Staff Squared helps you make data-based decisions by letting you create reports on employee performance, attendance trends, and more. Therefore these reports can help you keep track of your employees, streamline your HR processes, and find places to make changes.
Also, Staff Squared's customer service team is very good, and they respond quickly to phone, email, and live chat questions and concerns.
In short, Staff Squared is an HR software solution that is scalable and easy to use. It can help small and medium-sized businesses manage employees, streamline HR processes, and make data-based decisions.
- Holiday Management
- Staff Onboarding
- Centralized Staff Information
- Powerful Reporting
- Absence Management
HR.my is open-source software designed to simplify HR management for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs). It's an easy-to-use system that tracks employee information, attendance, payment, and more. HR.my stands out because it is easy to use. This makes it perfect for companies that need HR departments.
It also has strong reporting features that let you look at employee performance, attendance, and company data to change HR policy.HR.my may be customized for your organization and utilized anywhere with an internet connection. This makes it perfect for remote and home workers.
Lastly, HR.my is free, which makes it a great choice for companies that want to save money on HR administration or are on a tight budget. HR.my simplifies HR operations, saves time and money, and helps small and medium-sized organizations make data-driven decisions.
- Time, Attendance, and PTO
- Expense Management
- Organization Management
- Salary Structures
11. Open HRMS
Open HRMS is a powerful open source HR tool that allows companies to manage their HR tasks, like keeping track of employee information, attendance, and payroll. One of the best things about Open HRMS is how flexible it is. Businesses can choose which modules to use and change them to fit their needs.
Open HRMS also has several tools to help manage employees, such as reports on performance, attendance, and payroll. These reports can be used to find places to improve and help make decisions..
Lastly, Open HRMS is a good choice because it is free. This makes it a great choice for companies on a tight budget or wanting to cut down on the cost of HR administration.
- Employee Database
- Legal Action
- Loan Management
- Employee Survey
- HR announcements
Open source HR software its benefits
Some of the advantages of open source HR software are mentioned below:
- Flexibility: Open source HR software can be changed to fit the needs of a particular business. Users can see the source code, meaning they can change the software to make it work.
- Customization: Open source HR software can be customized for HR workflows. The program can automate and optimize HR operations, saving time and improving efficiency.
- Cost-effectiveness: Open source HR software saves money, especially for small firms and nonprofits. Users don't need pricey software licenses or developers because they can alter the software themselves.
- Support from the community: A community of developers maintains and improves open-source HR software. Users of the software can obtain regular upgrades and access a lot of community expertise and resources.
- Security: Open source software is safer than proprietary software since developers can see the source code. Data breaches and other security issues can be detected and corrected immediately.
Overall, open source HRM software is flexible, easy to customize, and affordable for automating and streamlining HR activities. It will improve HR procedures, save time and money, and provide community support and fresh ideas.
Why choosing the right open source HRM software is critical for your business?
The correct open HRMS software may impact HR operations, employee satisfaction, and business performance. Here are a few reasons why it's important to choose the right open source HR software:
- Scalability: HR software needs to be able to grow with the business. Scalable, open-source HR software can adapt to changing business needs and expand with the company.
- Features and functionality: Open source HR software should help companies manage their HR operations. This could include modules for hiring, onboarding, managing employee data, managing performance, and other things.
- Ease of use: The software should be easy to learn and use so that employees can find their way around the system and do their jobs with little training or help.
- Integration: To ensure information flows seamlessly throughout the organization, HR software should interface effectively with other business software like payroll and accounting software.
- Support and maintenance: For trustworthy, secure, and up-to-date open source HR software, choose a strong support community and frequent upgrades.
- Data security and privacy: HR software should be secure and respect data protection rules to protect employee data.
Key Features to Look for in Free HR Software (Free HRMS Outline)
There are a few important features to look for in free HR software to ensure it fits your organization's needs. Some of the most important things to look for are:
- Payroll management: This is an important feature that lets companies automate payroll calculations, handle tax filings, and make payroll reports. Look for open source HR software with a full payroll management module that works with your accounting or payroll software.
- Employee Onboarding: The onboarding process is important because it ensures that new hires fit in well with the organization. Look for open source HR software with an onboarding module with features like automated forms, document management, and task management.
- Performance Management: Organizations need performance management tools to track employees' performance, set goals, and give feedback. Therefore, look for open source HR software with performance management modules like setting goals, reviewing performance, and getting feedback from all directions.
- Reporting and analytics: Reports and analytics help firms understand HR data and make wise decisions. Look for open source HR software with strong reporting and analytics tools, such as pre-built reports and tools for making your reports.
- Time and Attendance Management: Time and attendance management helps companies track employee hours, handle time off requests, and calculate overtime. Therefore, seek open source HR software with time and attendance management components like time tracking, time off, and scheduling.
- Benefits Management: Organizations need benefits management features to handle employee benefits and make sure they follow the rules. Look for open source HR software with modules for managing benefits, such as benefit plans, enrollment, and reporting on benefits.
- Employee Self-Service: Employee self-service allows employees to manage their HR data, including pay stubs and benefits. So, seek for open source HR software with self-service elements like mobile access, secure login, and customizable dashboards.
Open Source vs. Proprietary HR Software
Open source HR software is free to use and anyone can download, change, and share. Anyone can look at the source code of open source HRM software and change it or add to it. On the other hand, proprietary HR software belongs to a certain company whose source code can't be seen or changed by the public.
Pros of Open Source HR software
- Cost-effective: Open source software is often free or comes at a lower cost than proprietary software, which can significantly benefit smaller businesses with limited budgets.
- Flexibility and customization: Open source software can be changed and tweaked to fit a business's needs.
- Support from the community: Open source software often has a large and active group of developers who work on it and help users.
- Transparency: Because the software is open source, users can see how it works and have more faith in its security and dependability.
Cons of Open Source HR software:
- Limited support: While open source software often has an active community of users and developers, support may be more challenging or as thorough as with proprietary software.
- Needs technical knowledge: Customizing and modifying open source software often requires technical expertise, which may only be available for some businesses.
- Potential security risks: Because anyone can change open source software, there is a chance that malicious users could add security holes to it.
- Compatibility issues: Open source software might only work with some hardware and operating systems, which could make it less useful for some businesses.
Pros of Proprietary HR Software:
- Comprehensive support: Proprietary software typically comes with comprehensive support from the company that owns it.
- Ease of use: Proprietary software is often designed to be user-friendly and easy to use.
- Security: Because the source code of proprietary software is not available to the public, it can be more secure than open source software.
- Compatibility: Proprietary software is often designed to be compatible with various hardware and operating systems.
Cons of Proprietary HR Software:
- Cost: Proprietary software can be expensive and a problem for smaller businesses with limited budgets.
- Limited customization: Proprietary software is often not customizable, which can limit its usefulness for businesses with unique needs.
- Vendor lock-in: Once a business has invested in proprietary software, switching to a different solution can be hard and expensive.
- Lack of transparency: The public needs to see the source code of proprietary software, which can make people worry about its reliability and safety.
How to Choose the Best Open Source HR Software for Your Business?
Here's a step-by-step guide to help you choose the best open source HR software for your business:
- What do you want: First, write down what your business needs and your HR goals are. Then find out what tasks you want the software to do and what features your business needs.
- Do research: Do research to find options for open source HR software that meet your needs. Check out user reviews, articles, and forums to learn about software options.
- Examine the software's features: Examine the software's features to find the greatest fit for your business. Payroll management, employee onboarding, performance management, reporting and analytics, and compliance management are some features to look for.
- Explore how easy each software is to use: It would help if you chose easy-to-use and understand software, as this will encourage more people to use it and make them more productive.
- Check the support: Look for open source HR software that has a community of users and developers who are active and can offer help and support. Check if the software has documentation, how-to guides, and help forums.
- Assess the size of the community: Think about how big and active the software community is. Most of the time, the software is stable, reliable, and has a bright future if its community is large and active.
- Check the cost: Open source software is usually free, but there may be costs for hosting, installing, maintaining, and customizing it. Look at your finances and figure out what you can afford.
- Test and compare: Once you've considered all your options, test and compare the software to see how they work. You can try most open-source HR software for free.
- Pick the best choice: After testing, choose the open source HR software that best meets your business's needs, budget, and goals.
- Implement and change: After choosing the program, you'll need to use and customize it for your business. Connecting the software to other systems, changing forms and workflows, and training personnel may be required.
Common Challenges of Using Open Source HR Software
When businesses use open source HR software, they may face several problems. Here are some of the most common problems and ways to deal with them:
- Technical issues: Installing, configuring, and customizing open source software may need technical knowledge and skills. This can be hard for businesses that need an IT department or tech-savvy employees.
Tip: If you need help installing and setting up the software, hire a consultant or a third-party vendor. Also, check the software's documentation, tutorials, and support forums for help with technical problems.
- Lack of support: Instead of a dedicated support team, a community of users and developers often supports open source software. This can make it hard to get help and take longer to fix bugs and add new features.
Tip: Look for open source software with an active community and regular updates. Check the software's documentation and support forums for tips on fixing problems and troubleshooting. For more help, consider buying a support plan from a third-party vendor.
- Compatibility problems: Open source software might not work with all operating systems, browsers, or devices, making it harder to use and access.
Tip: Check the software's system requirements to ensure it works with your existing infrastructure. You can test the software on various devices and browsers to ensure it works.
- Security risks: Because anyone can use open source software and it may not be updated often with security patches, it may be more prone to security risks.
Tip: Choose open source software with a strong security history and a community that works hard to fix any security problems. Also, consider using firewalls, antivirus software, and other extra security measures to reduce security risks.
- Lack of customization: Open source software can be changed, but big changes may require technical knowledge and skills.
Tip: If you need help making changes, you could hire a consultant or a third-party vendor or look at the software's documentation and support forums.
Open Source HR Software Implementation and Maintenance
Your business needs careful planning and attention to detail if you want to use and keep up with open source HR software. Here are some tips on how to install and keep open source HR software in good shape:
- Plan your implementation: Make sure you have a clear plan before installing the software. Find out what features and functions you need, determine how long it will take to implement them, and ensure you have enough resources.
- Install the software: Once you have a plan, it's time to install it. Ensure you carefully follow the installation instructions and that your system meets all the requirements. If you don't feel confident installing the software independently, consider hiring a consultant or a third-party vendor.
- Customize the software: Use open source HR software's ease of customization to meet your business's demands. Work with your IT team or a third-party provider to customize the program based on your needs.
- Train your team: Once the software is installed and set up the way you want, teaching your team how to use it well is important. Before you roll out the software to the rest of the company, ensure your team has had thorough training and is comfortable with it.
- Update the software often: Open source HR software is always improving, with new features and bug fixes constantly coming out. Ensure your software is always up-to-date by checking for updates often and installing them as soon as possible.
- Monitor performance and deal with problems: Check the performance of your open source HR software regularly to find any problems or bugs and fix them. Work with your IT team or a third-party vendor to solve any problems immediately.
- Engage with the community: Users and developers of open source software work together to make it better. Join this community by participating in forums, helping improve the software, and sharing your experiences and thoughts.
Most importantly, installing and maintaining open source HR software requires careful planning, installation, customization, training, regular updates, monitoring, and community involvement. Think about working with your IT team or a third-party vendor to ensure the setup and maintenance go smoothly.
In summary, open source HR software offers several benefits to businesses, including flexibility, customization, cost-effectiveness, and community support. However, it poses some challenges, such as technical issues and lack of support.
By carefully evaluating your needs, conducting research, and planning your implementation, you can successfully maintain open source HR software in your business and reap its benefits.